Prof. Dr. Erwin Seyfried
Department of Public Administration
Professorship for Organisational Psychology
Specialist area: Organisational development, evaluation, European integration
Director of the Institute for Distance Learning der HWR Berlin
T: +49 (0)30 30877-2910
F: +49 (0)30 30877-2919
Alt Friedrichsfelde 60
Hochschule für Wirtschaft und Recht Berlin
Academic and Professional Career
- Studied Psychology at the Free University (FU) Berlin, obtaining diploma in 1979
- Practical experience in facilities for occupational rehabilitation (1982-1985)
- Research associate at the FU Berlin in the Department for Rehabilitation Research (1986-1993)
- Professor of Organisational and Administrative Psychology at the FHVR Berlin (now Berlin School of Economics and Law – BSEL) since 1993
- Head of the inter-disciplinary research centre for vocational training, the labour market and evaluation (FBAE) at the FHVR Berlin (since 1994)
- Responsible for the master’s distance learning programme “European Administrative Management” (since 1999)
- Dean of Faculty I at the FHVR Berlin (2003-2005)
- Director of the distance learning institute of the BSEL (since 2008)
Key Aspects of practise
- Empirical research in the field of evaluating funding provided by the European structural fund
- Expert opinions and concepts concerning the implementation of European policies and programmes in the fields of vocational training and employment for EU institutions (the EU Commission, CEDEFOP - European Centre for the Development of Vocational Training), federal and regional government ministries
- Academic expert for the European Commission and CEDEFOP on quality and quality assurance in vocational training
- Member of the accreditation committee of the European Banking Training Association
- London Southbank University, UK
- Adam Mickiewicz University, Poznan, Poland
- University of Piraeus, Greece
- National Academy for Public Administration under the office of the President of Ukraine
- Scienter (an educational research organisation) / University of Bologna
- Evaluation of public interventions, in particular in the field of the European structural fund
- Quality assurance, quality management systems, accreditation
- European funding policies and programmes in the fields of vocational training and employment
Key Aspects in Teaching
- European cohesion and funding policies: ascertaining needs for funding and opportunities for funding; applying for and implementing EU-funded projects; evaluation of development programmes: support, evaluation and monitoring within the European structural fund
- Quality management in public administration (CAF – Common Assessment Framework)
- Intercultural communication and cooperation
Research Projects and Fields
- QUA.LOBSTER - Quality Assurance in Learning Organisations in the Banking and Financial Sector in Europe – funded by the Directorate-General of the EU for Education and Culture, Leonardo da Vinci Programme
- QUADULTRAINERS - Towards a European Qualification Prototype for Adult Trainers – funded by the Directorate-General of the EU for Education and Culture
- FINALIST - Financial Literacy Stimulation – funded by the EU action programme for adult education, “Grundtvig”
Selected, current Publications
- 2009 Communication: Support for political-administrative reform processes via the transmission of intercultural competences (zusammen mit Birgitta Sticher) In: GTZ: Reform der öffentlichen Verwaltung in der Ukraine. Projektdokument Nr. 20, Kyiw 2008.
- 2009 MEDA-ETE Regional Project: Thematic Report: Quality and Quality Assurance in TVET. European Training Foundation, Turin
- 2008 European cohesion and funding policies. An overview. Berlin: FHVR Berlin / BoD Hamburg 2008.
- 2007 Indicators for quality in VET. To enhance European cooperation. Luxembourg: Office for Official Publications of the European Communities. Cedefop Panorama series, 2007.
- 2007 Synthesis Report for CEDEFOP: The use of indicators to improve quality in VET at provider and systems level. Experiences in Finland.
- 2006 Evaluation of innovative measures funded under Article 6 of ESF regulation (2003-2006) “Local Employment Strategies and Innovation”. Final Report. European Commission, DG Employment (ISOB Regensburg).
- 2005 Local Employment Development in the EU and the US: Promoting successful Policies and Practices. Brussels, June 12-13, 2005. Conference report. DG Employment, Social Affairs and Equal Opportunities,
- 2005 A European Approach to Quality Assurance in Europe. An Overview. Presentation to the Lauching Conference of ENQA-VET. Dublin, 3 October 2005.
- 2005 The Establishment of Social Co-operatives in Greece. Pathways to Social Integration for People with Mental Health Problems. Synthesis Report. European Commission, DG Employment, Social Affairs and Equal Opportunities. (DE, EN, FR).
- 2005 Governance von lokaler Beschäftigungspolitik im europäischen Kontext. Zur Bedeutung von Netzwerken im Mehrebenensystem. In: Kodre, P., M. Roggenkamp, C. Roth, E. Scheffelt (Hrg.): Lokale Beschäftigungsbündisse. Europäische Perspektiven in Forschung und Praxis. Berlin 2005, Edition Sigma, S. 59-81.
- 2005 Zusammenfassende Bewertung der ESF-Förderung in Ostdeutschland in der Förderperiode 2000 bis 2006; im Auftrag des Bundesministeriums der Finanzen (mit IfS Berlin / GEFRA)
Selected dissertation topics
- The open method of coordination (OMK) – chance or risk for integration and democracy in the European Union
- Institutionalising evaluation at the European level, using the example of the ESF (European structural fund) programmes
- Tools for structural development policy in a comparison between the “Celtic tiger” that is Ireland and the “lame duck” that is eastern Germany
- Requirements in European law for a standard checking procedure for the administrative and monitoring systems for the European social fund
- Territorial cooperation between players from various member states within the framework of the structural fund
- The internationalisation of higher education and its impacts on national higher education systems – a comparison between Germany and the United Kingdom