Prof. Dr. Andreas Polk
Professor for Economics
T: +49 (0)30 30877-1162
Badensche Straße 50-51
Hochschule für Wirtschaft und Recht Berlin
Badensche Straße 52
Academic and Professional Career
- Professor of Economics, in particular industrial organisation, at Berlin School of Economics and Law (BSEL)
- Course director of the study programme BA Economics
- Member of the Academic Senate, Berlin School of Economics and Law, and member of the Faculty Council of the Department of Business and Economics at Berlin School of Economics and Law
- Specialist adviser at the German Federal Competition Authority, specialising in energy policy and the economic foundation of competition policy
- Doctorate degree at the University of Zurich
- Studied Economics at the University of Heidelberg and the University of Duisburg
- University of Zürich
- University of Birmingham
- University of Sankt Gallen (HSG)
- Center for European Policy Research, Mannheim (ZEW Mannheim)
- Competition policy and regulation of network industries (i.e. aviation, energy, water)
- Industrial organization, applied microeconomics and game theory
- Lobbying and influence on political decisions
Key Aspects in Teaching
- Industrial organization, competition policy and regulation
- Microeconomics and game theory
- Political Economy and Lobbying
- Strategic management
Research Projects and Fields
- Competition policy
- Liberalisation and regulation of network industries
- Impact of lobbying on political decisions
Selected, current Publications
- Polk, Schmutzler, Müller (2014), "Lobbying and the power of multinational firms", European Journal of Political Economy, Vol. 36, 209-227.
- Bilotkach, Polk (2013), "Market power of airports: A case study for Amsterdam airport Schiphol", Competition and Regulation in Network Industries, Vol. 14(4), 320-337.
- Polk, Bilotkach (2013), "The Assessment of Market Power of Hub Airports", Transport Policy, Vol. 29, 29-37.
- Polk (2012), "Ein Lob des Lobbyismus", Blätter für deutsche und internationale Politik, 11/2012, 36-38.
- Polk, Schmutzler (2005), "Lobbying against environmental regulation vs. lobbying for loopholes", European Journal of Political Economy, Vol. 21(4), 915-931.