Life in Berlin
Berlin is a fascinating multicultural metropolis – as anyone living here will tell you! The highly developed infrastructure makes Berlin an easy city to enjoy. Everything is close by, from the nearest Turkish supermarket to an Indian theatre or Chinese acupuncturist. And whether it's summer or winter, Berlin has an event calendar packed with great things to do in your free time, from clubs to opera, theatre to fringe shows, muscle toning in fitness studios to finding your voice in a choir, or just simply enjoying some of the city's many green spaces. Whatever your favourite ways of spending your free time, it's sure to be part of Berlin's leisure landscape – and the excellent BVG (Berliner Verkehrsbetriebe) public transport network (usually!) guarantees a smooth trip right across the city. Berlin is also one of Europe's greenest cities. It has 2500 public parks and gardens, spoling Berliners and guests for great walking or biking – or even boating! Students not only get a fantastic deal on public transport with the BVG semester ticket, but also great reductions on a host of other leisure time activities too so remember to keep your student ID with you when you're out and about!
Berlin's nightlife is just as varied. Whether you're into live beats, cool cocktails, or electronic vibes in the many city clubs, you'll soon discover why Berlin is renowned as one of Europe's most dynamic party hotspots. The city is also advancing to become a major art's centre. The diverse avant-garde art scene in Berlin-Neukölln, Kreuzberg, Friedrichshain and Mitte has also attracted an array of low-budget bars, gastropubs and restaurants.
These links will give you a taste of Berlin's nightlife and events (some sites only in German):
- www.zitty.de Zitty is published every two weeks with a wealth of details about what's on in Berlin articles, movies, clubs, concerts, and much more…
- www.tip-berlin.de The overview of Berlin life, with films, music, parties, and ... and ... and...
- berlin030.de All the top must-see, “been there, done that!” places in Berlin.
A number of websites also have answers to every new Berliner's FAQs:
- www.berlin.de Official Berlin website, with map and search function
- www.kino.de Search function for cinemas and movies
English-language Berlin life magazine with events, reviews, etc.
- Ausländerbehörde Berlin Berlin Aliens Registration Office with information on residence entitlement for students
- www.berlin.de/buergeramt Addresses and business hours of Berlin's Registration Offices
- www.bvg.de Berlin local transport (BVG) website with trip planner
- www.bahn.de Deutsche Bahn railways information portal in English with offers, train times and tickets
- List of Internet Cafés in Berlin
- U.S. Embassy & Consulates in Germany: Medical Resources
List of English-speaking doctors in Berlin