Admission to Dual Degree Programmes

Special admission requirements exist for dual study at HWR Berlin.

The following persons may be admitted:

  • Whoever has a German university entrance qualification (Abitur or Fachhochschulreife) or is professionally qualified in accordance with §11 of the Berlin Higher Education Act;
  • Whoever has concluded a contract for dual training within the framework of Cooperative Studies at HWR Berlin with a partner company of the relevant degree programme.

Please note the following:

English language skills

For Business Administration/Service Management

  •  Proof of very good English language skills at Common European Framework of Reference (CEFR) B1+ level

For International Industrial Management, International Logistics and Transportation, International Service Management, International Tourism

Certificates and minimum scores in more detail

Proof of language proficiency may be waived if the applicant:

  • has English as his or her mother tongue
  • can prove that he or she has studied for at least one year at an English-speaking school, university or other institution.

For all other subjects, English language skills do not have to be proven.

International applicants

In addition to the general admission requirements for dual degree programmes (university entrance qualification and completed study and training contract), foreign applicants should also take note of the following:

Recognition of foreign certificates
If you have obtained your university entrance qualification outside the Federal Republic of Germany, your university entrance certificates (higher education entrance qualification) must be checked at one of the following locations:

Please note: uni-assist only carries out the preliminary examination of the certificates (it is not the application process).

Since prospective students apply directly to cooperating companies not to HWR Berlin, it is not possible to apply for dual degree programmes via uni assist.
Each applicant must apply independently for recognition of their documents.

German language skills

Knowledge of the German language is required for admission to HWR Berlin, and must be proven by taking the following examinations:

  • German language examination for university admission (DSH), achieving at least a result of DSH-2
  • TestDaF, with a result of TDN 4 in all four sections
  • Telc Deutsch C1 Hochschule
  • “German Examination Section” in assessment test at preparatory college

No proof of German language skills is required from:

  • Holders of the Goethe-Zertifikat C2: Großes Deutsches (GDS)
  • Applicants for degree programmes that are not offered in German
  • Holders of foreign certificates recognised as sufficient on the basis of bilateral agreements or other agreements concluded by KMK and HRK.

Detailed information on this topic can be found in the regulations on proof of German language skills.

University access for professionally qualified persons

Admission to university places with professional qualifications is determined in accordance with §11 of the Berlin Higher Education Act. The law defines different types of professional qualification:

  1. General qualification for university entrance
    The general university entrance qualification can be sat anyone who has completed advanced further training in accordance with the provisions of the Crafts Code (e.g. master craftsmen and women), or of the Vocational Training Act. Additionally, it may be sat by anyone who has completed vocational training at a state or state-recognised technical school (e.g. state-certified technicians), a further training course as stipulated the Seamen's Act (e.g. officers with a seaman's commission), or a further training course for health care jobs (based on law-regulated further training measures), as well further training in social care or education.
  2. Subject-specific university entrance qualification without a qualifying examination
    Those who have completed at least two years of vocational training in a field similar to the subject, and who have worked within the designated profession for at least three years are entitled to take up a basic degree programme at the university which corresponds to the previous training.
  3. Subject-specific university entrance qualification with a qualifying examination
    Those who have completed at least two years of vocational training and worked in a profession for at least three years, but who would like to study in a subject not related to the training and work experience, must prove their ability to study the subject in an entrance examination.

Similar vocational training courses for the degree programme at the Department of Cooperative Studies are included in the guidelines governing the entrance examination.