Studies for refugees
Refugees in Berlin and Brandenburg can learn German and study at the HWR Berlin free-of-charge.
We provide comprehensive support for refugees studying at the Hochschule für Wirtschaft und Recht Berlin at every stage of their degree programme. This includes:
- Help in orientation
- German courses to prepare for your studies
- Support to enable you to study well
- Careers advice
We live diversity yet focus on the individual
As an international university welcoming people from across the globe, we would like to extend a warm welcome to the HWR Berlin. We are very keen to help all refugees studying at the HWR, especially women. If you need further information or individual advice, do not hesitate to contact us.
- Please note: Due to the Corona/Covid 19 pandemic there are no office hours at any campuses of the HWR Berlin. Please do not hesitate to contact us to arrange a digital appointment.
Free-of-charge German course to prepare for your studies
Refugees can study German at the HWR Berlin at the levels B2 or C1. Our free-of-charge language courses take place in the morning on our Schöneberg campus. They are financed by the Federal Ministry of Education and Research and through funds from the »Integra« project run by the German Academic Exchange Service.
Our next course starts in August 2021. You can apply until June 27.
How to apply:
- Fill out the online application form in the course description below.
- Send the required documents to pre-studies(at)hwr-berlin.de:
- A telephone interview and an online placement test are part of the application process. We will inform you at a later point.
If you wish to study at a later point and have already completed the German language level B2, our C1 German course is the right level for you. After completing the C1 course, you can take the »telc C1 Hochschule« examination; holders of this qualification have achieved the level of German required for admission to a university degree programme.*
- Duration: 4,5 months, Monday to Friday
- Time: 9.00 to 14.00 (planned)
- Contact time and contents: 24 teaching hours a week. A single teaching hour lasts 45 minutes. Besides German lessons different topics are treated during the course: German higher education system, opportunities for studying and training, applying via uni-assist, successful learning strategies, intercultural skills. Individual counseling can be offered if necessary.
- Studienvorbereitung: 4 Unterrichtsstunden pro Woche. Zu den Themen gehören: The world of work, issues in politics, opportunities for studying and training, successful learning strategies, intercultural skills, excursions etc.
- Location: The course is provided online. Should on-campus classroom teaching become possible during the course of the semester, it will be provided on the Schöneberg campus.
- Requirements A completed German course at the B2 level
- Required documents:
a copy of your latest German language certificate on level B2
a copy of your ID document and your asylum or refugee status
if possible: a copy of your school leaving certificate and, if applicable, proof of your previous studies (i.e. transcript of records)
* Please note that you must first comply with certain requirements to be awarded a place to study at a German university. The certificates issued by the school and university in your home country must be accepted in Berlin as qualifying you to study. A vocational qualification can sometimes qualify applicants to take up a place at a German university. The Central Office for Foreign Education (ZAB) of the Standing Conference of the Ministers of Education and Cultural Affairs of the Länder in the Federal Republic of Germany makes all decisions pertaining to the assessment and acceptance of certificates from non-German countries. Comprehensive information about the individual countries is available in the anabin database. In certain cases, applicants are required to complete a preparatory course (Studienkolleg) to be able to study in Germany. Our language courses do not replace this course.
Studying as an auditing student
If you have not yet enrolled in a degree programme but would like to take part in a university class to get a taste for life at the HWR Berlin, then register as an auditing student.
- This status lasts 4 months, i.e. the course of a semester
- You can choose freely from all the courses in General Studies programme
- You can select one university class from a degree programme per semester
- Participation is free-of-charge
Help and assistance: Courses and workshops for successful studying
We provide advice and support to ensure you can study well: We provide help to assist in your orientation at the university and then acquire all the skills required for successful study. You will also extend your German language skills to enable you to pursue your studies. We provide regular useful courses and workshops about these issues.
Making the transition from studying to working
We are currently in the process of planning new measures of advice for refugees and other international students who are about to complete their degree and who wish to prepare for a career. Further information will follow shortly.
Finding a degree programme and making an application
Completing the German course means that you are ready to apply for a place on a degree programme. Find a degree programme that best suits you
56 degree programmes at the HWR Berlin