Services for refugees
German for studying: free German lessons at the HWR Berlin for refugees in Berlin or Brandenburg who want to study or prepare for a professional career
Are you interested in studying on a Bachelor’s or Master’s degree programme − or perhaps a cooperative studies degree programme? We are on hand at every step of the way provide advice and support to all those hoping to learn German at the Hochschule für Wirtschaft und Recht Berlin and then to study for a degree.
We even continue to help after graduation, with advice and support in the job application procedure. As an internationally-active university with students from throughout the world, we should like to extend a warm welcome to the HWR Berlin!
The exigencies of the COVID-19 pandemic mean that all consultation services provided at the HWR Berlin are currently performed online. Just send us an e-mail to arrange an appointment.
Learn German for free
Refugees can study German at the HWR Berlin to B2 or C1 level. These courses are financed by the Federal Ministry of Education and Research through the »Integra« project run by the German Academic Exchange Service.
German course from August 2021
The next German course starts on 9 August 2021. You can apply up to 27 June 2021. How to take part:
- Complete the digital registration form below the drop-down description.
- Send the requisite documents to pre-studies(at)hwr-berlin.de.
- If you satisfy the requirements, we will invite you to take part in an online placement test.
German for your studies
If you wish to study at a later point and have already completed the German language level B2, our C1 German course is the right level for you. After completing the C1 course, you can take the »telc C1 Hochschule« examination; holders of this qualification have achieved the level of German required for admission to a university degree programme.*
Infos zum Kurs:
- Duration: four-and-a-half months, Monday to Friday
- Time: 9.00 to 14.00 (planned)
- Lessons: 24 teaching hours a week
- Topics: The German language, the German university system, the opportunities for study, the application procedure via uni-assist, learning strategies, intercultural skills
- Advice and assistance: Personal guidance as required
- Location: The course will start online. Should in-person teaching become possible again, lessons will take place on the Schöneberg Campus of the HWR Berlin
- Qualification: telc C1 Hochschule
What are the requirements?
The requirement for the German course (C1 level) at the HWR Berlin is completion of a B2 German course.
Which documents do you need to submit?
- B2 language certificate: You must have passed all components of the examination
- A copy of your ID card or passport
- Up-to-date proof of your residence status
- If possible: A copy of your school-leaving certificate and any proofs of previous periods of study
Complete the registration form now
Summer School »Students4Refugees – Refugees4Students«
The “Students4Refugees - Refugees4Students” Summer School will be held at the HWR Berlin from 9 to 13 August 2021. The fifth Summer School of its kind provides students and refugees interested in studying at the HWR Berlin with the opportunity to network with and learn from each other. In addition to a range of online events, participants will also be able to take part in live events. The school will be staffed by volunteer students from the HWR Berlin, some with a refugee background. The Summer School will address a wide range of issues.
Please register by e-mail:
Learning a new language is never easy. But with the enthusiastic teachers and great atmosphere at the HWR Berlin, you will soon make progress. This is why I want to work in my profession as a teacher in Germany.
Try out studying − just have a go
Choosing a degree programme
Completion of the German course prepares its participants to apply for a place on a degree programme. Find a degree programme that suits you and submit your application.
Knowing what to do: studying at the HWR Berlin
Two steps to the right degree programme
FAQ Studying at the HWR Berlin: answers to your questions
Studying successfully − here’s how
We provide a range of advice and support to help you settle in to the HWR Berlin and acquire all the skills that you need to study successfully. Improve your language skills so you can complete your studies in German.
Starting your career
Are you about to graduate and would like to start looking for a job or internship? Working within the framework of the DAAD-funded project Integra, the HWR Berlin provides advice and support to international students with or without a refugee background with all aspects of starting a career.
Further information about careers guidance at the HWR Berlin