Admission requirements for a cooperative studies degree programme

What are the admission requirements for studying at the Department of Cooperative Studies at the HWR Berlin? A training agreement with a partner company is one of the most important requirements. What else?

Two basic requirements

Applicants to the Department of Cooperative Studies require two important things:

  1. A recognized university entrance qualification such as a German Abitur, an entrance qualification for a university of applied sciences or a vocational qualification in accordance with paragraph 11 Berliner Hochschulgesetz.
  2. A training agreement from a company with a partnership agreement with the HWR Berlin for the chosen cooperative studies degree programme.

Some applicants will be required to demonstrate certain language skills or demonstrate the acceptance in Germany of their non-German qualifications. A link to download a template for the training agreement is provided below.

Applicants should send these documents to the course office responsible for the respective cooperative studies degree programme. This office acts as the central contact point for enrolment.

[Translate to English:] Burak Eren, Studienberatung Fachbereich Duales Studium, Studentischer Mitarbeiter

How do I enrol?

Applicants should comply with the following procedure: 

English language skills

Applicants for the following courses of study are required to demonstrate English language skills on a B1 or B2 level of the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages:

  • Business Administration / Service Management: Stage B1+
  • International Industrial Management: Stage B2
  • International Logistics and Transportation: Stage B2
  • International Service Management: Stage B2
  • International Tourism: Stage B2
  • All other cooperative studies degree programmes offered at the HWR Berlin do not require English language skills.

Language tests and proofs of proficiency

Which minimum results do applicants need from language tests such as Toefl Ibt, Telc Language Tests or Unicert? Where can applicants take an English test?

The following applicants are not required to submit proof of English language proficiency:

  • Native speakers
  • Applicants who passed Leistungskurs Englisch prior to completing Sekundarstufe II with a minimum grade of good or hold a comparable qualification.
  • Applicants who have studied at school or a university for a minimum of a year at which the language of instruction was English.
  • Applicants who have studied at a school, university or other institution for a minimum of a year in an English-speaking country.

Applying with non-German school leaving qualifications

Recognition of non-German school leaving qualifications

Non-German applicants hoping to commence a cooperative studies degree programme at the HWR Berlin require a university entrance qualification which is recognized in Germany. Holders of a non-German school leaving qualification must submit them for verification and recognition.

Important! Please note

  • The HWR Berlin is unable to provide official recognition for non-German qualifications.
  • Potential applicants can submit their school leaving qualifications to Uni Assist for verification.
  • Potential applicants with non-German school leaving qualification should submit their qualifications to Uni Assist before making their application. This process is subject to a fee.
  • Please do not submit your application to Uni Assist; these should be sent to the partner company directly.

German language skills

International applicants for a degree programme taught at the HWR Berlin in German require very good German language skills, at a minimum of C1 level. Applicants must submit one of the following language certificates:

  • DSH-2: Deutsche Sprachprüfung für den Hochschulzugang
  • Test DaF: Test Deutsch als Fremdsprache with the result TDN4
  • Telc Deutsch C1 Hochschule
  • The German language component of the Studienkolleg assessment test
  • Applicants for degree programmes not taught in German are not required to submit proof of German language proficiency.

The following applicants with non-German school leaving qualifications are not required to submit proof of German language proficiency:

  • Holders of the Goethe-Zertifikat C2 Großes Deutsches Sprachdiplom
  • Those applying for a degree programme which is not taught in German
  • Holders of non-German certificates which are recognized as proof of language proficiency by the KMK and HRK.

Applying with a vocational qualification

Applying for a cooperative studies degree programme without a university entrance qualification

The Berliner Hochschulgesetz permits applications to the HWR Berlin by holders of vocational qualifications. Paragraph 11 of the law defines the various vocational qualifications:

Applications will be accepted from those who do not have a formal university entrance qualification but can submit proof of a vocational qualification and the following:

  1. Advanced further training (Aufstiegsfortbildung) in accordance with the Handwerksordnung des Berufsbildungsgesetz such as a Meister
  2. Training at a state or state-accredited technical college (Fachschule) such as a staatlich geprüfte Techniker 
  3. Continuing professional development as defined by the Seemannsgesetz such as an Offiziere mit Seemannspatent
  4. Continuing professional development provided on the basis of a state measure of continuing professional development for healthcare professionals and care or social work professionals

Applicants with professional experience are not required to sit a qualifying examination and will be considered as holding a subject-specific university entrance qualification if:

  1. They have completed vocational training in an area related to the curriculum of the degree programme for which they wish to apply with a minimum duration of two years.
  2. Their choice of degree programme corresponds to the subject area in which they performed training.

Applicants with professional experience are considered to hold a subject-specific university entrance qualification if they can submit proofs the following:

  1. Completion of vocational training with a minimum duration of two years.
  2. That they have passed a qualifying examination, if their professional training was completed in an area unrelated to the curriculum of the degree programme for which they wish to apply .

Credit transfer

Have you studied before?

Applicants who have previously studied at a different university can apply for credit transfer of their previous degree or elements of it within six months of admission. They are required to present a record of achievement: