Prof. Dr. Andreas Polk
Academic and professional career
- Bundeskartellamt (Federal Cartel Office, Germany), focus on energy policy and the economic foundations of competition policy.
- Obtained doctorate at the University of Zurich on the topic "The Economics of Lobbying and Special Interest Groups"
- Assistant to the Chair for Microeconomics, Industrial Organisation, and Environmental Economics at the University of Zurich (Prof. Dr. Schmutzler)
- Assistant to the Chair for Economic Theory at the University of Heidelberg (Prof. Dr. Faber)
- Studied Economics at the University of Heidelberg and the University of Duisburg
- since 2008: Professor of Economics, Berlin School of Economics and Law.
- since 2011: Member or deputy member of the Academic Senate, Berlin School of Economics and Law.
- since 2011: Regular member of expert panels for the re-accreditation of higher education institutions in Croatia.
- Political economy, especially lobbying analysis
- Applied industrial organization, competition policy and regulation
- Microeconomics and game theory
- Lobbyismus in Deutschland aus politökonomischer Sicht
- The role of umbrella pricing in private litigation (with J. Franck, K. Hüschelrath; ZEW & U Mannheim)
- Regulation in the water industry (with M. Hellwig, ZEW Mannheim)
- A comparison of competition policy in Slowenia and Germany (with A. Primec, U Maribor)
- Polk, Schmutzler, Müller (2014), "Lobbying and the power of multinational firms", European Journal of Political Economy, Vol. 36, 209-227.
- Bilotkach, Polk (2013), "Market power of airports: A case study for Amsterdam airport Schiphol", Competition and Regulation in Network Industries, Vol. 14(4), 320-337.
- Polk, Bilotkach (2013), "The Assessment of Market Power of Hub Airports", Transport Policy, Vol. 29, 29-37.
- Polk (2012), "Ein Lob des Lobbyismus", Blätter für deutsche und internationale Politik, 11/2012, 36-38.
- Polk, Schmutzler (2005), "Lobbying against environmental regulation vs. lobbying for loopholes", European Journal of Political Economy, Vol. 21(4), 915-931.
FAZ, Spiegel online, Tagesspiegel, Manager Magazin online, Euro Magazin, Immobilien Airports, Vietnam News, bizhub, bizlive.vn, Sr2 Kulturradio (Radiointerview), Kölncampus (Radiointerview)
- 2016 GLEA, Budapest; VfS (Ausschuss Institutionenökonomik), Witten/Herdecke; MaCCI ZEW Mannheim
- 2015 CIEM Workshop on Energy Market Regulation, Hanoi
- 2013 Workshop on Political Economy, Dresden; ATRS, Bergamo; Verein für Socialpolitik, Düsseldorf
- 2011 MaCCI Conference, ZEW Mannheim
- 2010 ATRS, Porto; GARS Workshop, Bremen
- 2000 EARIE, Lausanne.
- Economics E-Journal, Journal of Air Transport Management, Research in Transportation Economics, Scandinavian Journal of Economics, Transport Policy
- CIEM Workshop Energy Market Regulation Hanoi, 2015
- GIZ Berlin, 2014
- Youth-Future-Conference Bonn, 2013
- Universität Bonn, 2006
- Europäische Akademie Berlin, 2006
- Universität Maastricht, 2005
- Applied microeconomics
- Markets, competition and regulation
- Politics, the state and the non-profit-sector
- Managerial economics
- The political economy of special interest groups
(part of the interdisciplinary teaching unit on lobbying)
- Pricing techniques
(part of the interdisciplinary teaching unit on quantitative methods for market analysis)
- The economic analysis of mergers & acquisitions
(part of the interdisciplinary teaching unit on M&A)
For a complete list, current and planned lectures, and information on thesis topics please refer to my German page.