Law and Public Administration
- DegreeMaster of Laws (LL.M.)
- Type of studyFull-time study
- Standard period of study4 semesters with internship
- Commencement of studiesWinter semester (1 Oct)
- Credits (ECTS)120
- Language of instructionGerman
- Department / Central InstituteDepartment of Public Administration
While an increasing number of Management degree programmes with a focus on Public Administration are available, Law degree courses taught from such a perspective are comparatively rare.
Even though the demand for legal specialists in Public Administration issues rises in both Germany and Europe, the market for suitable candidates with the required skill set remains undersupplied.
Seeking to cater to this need, HWR Berlin became the first provider in Germany to offer an applied Master’s degree programme in Law and Public Administration.
The specialist orientation of this degree programme provides its graduates with very good employment prospects in a future-orientated profession with a range of opportunities for specialist and managerial work.
Applications are especially welcome from holders of a Bachelor’s degree in Administration and other administrative or law-related college or university degrees, as well as from holders of a Diplom-Verwaltungswirt qualification.
The Master’s degree aims to enable its holders to apply their legal training to the diverse tasks of public administration.
Graduates can aim for a professional career in higher administrative positions.
This degree programme prepares its students for constitutive legal work in public administrations (irrespective of its legal form) in both clerical and management positions.
The degree programme is divided into four semesters, the third of which encompasses a twelve-week work placement in a public authority, a private organisation or company performing public sector administrative tasks, or with a law firm focused on Public Administration Law.
- The Preconditions and Instruments of the Application of the Law
- The Hierarchy of Laws
- Human Resources Management
- Administrative Costs Management
- e-Government – Between Modernisation and Public Responsiveness
- The Necessity of Abstract Administrative Decisions
- The Necessity of Decisions Pertaining to Optimal Action and Organisation Forms
- The Legal Conduct of Public Administration
- Team Work: Legal Decisions as a Complex Procedure
- Final Thesis Colloquium
- Legally-Relevant Negotiations and Presentations, Court Actions, Mediation
- Master thesis / oral examination
- University degree (min. 180 ECTS) in Legal or Administrative Science
Programmakkreditiert durch den Akkreditierungsrat
Fees and grants
- Tuition fees
ca. € 300 per semester (incl. local transport semester ticket)
Guidance for prospective students
Student Counselling Services
Application and admission
Master’s degree programmes Lichterberg Campus
Important dates and deadlines
01.04. - 05.08.
24.07. - 12.08.
22.09. - 07.10.