Change of name and/or gender entry

The University Management took the decision on 27 March 2023 to enable trans*, inter* and non-binary* (TIN*) students to change their name and/or indication of gender by self-declaration – even before an official registration – in the HWR Berlin campus management system and any associated documents (inc. degree transcripts).

To complete this step, you need to submit to the Office for Applications, Admissions and Enrolment a signed application form and show your official identity card and the supplementary identity card issued by the Deutschen Gesellschaft für Transidentität und Intersexualität (German Society for Transidentity and Intersexuality - dgti).

Please note,

  • that during identity checks – especially involving any legal requirement to identification (e.g. police identification) – you will be required to present a legal identification document (e.g. identity card, passport) stating your official name.
  • that it might be required to submit your dgti supplementary identity card in the course of any identity check required in conjunction with the use of your VBB Student Ticket.
  • that you release the HWR Berlin from all claims that may arise through the use of your self-selected name and the corresponding documents.
  • that the HWR Berlin accepts no liability for any possible legal disadvantage resulting from the issue of graduation documents, and you release the HWR Berlin from any liability in this regard.
  • that only one version of your graduation documents is permitted to be in circulation (bearing either your official name or your chosen name) and that you are obliged to return any documents that have already been issued to you.
  • that such a decision can only be reversed (e.g. the expectation of difficulties when applying for a scholarship, a place at university, a visa, etc.) after I have returned the documents issued in my chosen name to the Examination Office in order to enable the issue of fresh documents bearing my official name.