FACT (Finance, Accounting, Controlling and Taxation)
- DegreeMaster of Science (M.Sc.)
- Type of studyFull-time study
- Standard period of study3 semester
- Commencement of studiesWinter semester (1 Oct)
- Credits (ECTS)90
- Language of instructionEnglish, German / English
- Department / Central InstituteDepartment of Business and Economics
The master's programme is aimed at talented and ambitious graduates of a bachelor's degree in business and economics who wish to prepare themselves for responsible positions in the fields of finance, accounting, controlling and taxation. The consecutive degree programme combines the strongly intertwined disciplines and takes into account the individual focus of the students by offering a wide range of options.
Building on the respective bachelor's degree, complex contents of the above-mentioned fields of business administration are taught in an interactive form, whereby attention is paid to interdisciplinary connections and a scientific foundation with a clear practical relevance. The four core disciplines of the master's programme are flanked by courses on business law, ERP systems and quantitative methods, among others. Courses on scientific writing, data analysis and quantitative-empirical methods comprehensively prepare students for the master's thesis.
The newly designed programme is the result of the merger of the previous programmes FACT (old) and Accounting and Controlling. It has an international orientation and can be studied entirely in English. Small, international student groups enable intensive professional and intercultural exchange. The practical relevance is guaranteed by professors with practical experience as well as guest lecturers from the business world. The Master's thesis can be written in German or English.
Selected students can participate in a triple degree programme with the ESC Rennes in France.
The master's degree programme enables graduates to take on demanding specialist and management tasks in nationally and internationally active companies across all sectors. In addition, the degree opens the door to higher levels in German public administration. Graduates often work in the fields of management consulting, tax consulting or auditing as well as in commercial management, finance and accounting or in public administrative functions.
In their first semester, students of this degree programme complete an advanced foundation stage followed by in-depth studies in the second semester. The third semester is reserved for the master's thesis and the oral master's examination. Students who have acquired less than 210 ECTS in their undergraduate studies must acquire the missing credit points through an integrated internship. In this case, the study programme is extended from three to four semesters. For those who have obtained 210 ECTS in their previous studies, an internship semester is optional.
Methodologically, the courses are characterized by seminar-based teaching. One focus is on case study work. Through this, the acquired knowledge is applied to practical problems and deepened.
All information about currently offered modules and courses can be found in the online campus management system.
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent degree
- 210 ECTS (applicants with 180 credits must additionally acquire 30 credits through an integrated internship, i.e. the Master's programme is extended by one semester)
- Proof that at least two subjects from the four relevant fields of Finance, Accounting, Controlling and Taxation have been completed in the previous degree programme with at least 20 ECTS in total.
- Very good knowledge of English corresponding to an upper B2 level of the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages (CEFR) recommended by the Council of Europe, proven by a standardized test such as: TOEFL iBT at least 83 points, IELTS at least 6.0, TOEIC Four Skills at least 1200 points, PTE Academic at least 67 points, Cambridge English Scale at least 170 points, Oxford Test of English at least 126 points, UNIcert II.
- Letter of motivation in English
- Curriculum vitae in English
- If a GMAT with at least 600 points can be presented, the chances of admission increase significantly (in this case, no further English test is required).
Students who have earned less than 210 ECTS in their undergraduate studies must compensate for the missing credit points by completing an integrated internship. The internship (30 ECTS) takes place after the theory phase and before graduation.
Students who have acquired 210 ECTS in their undergraduate studies and have already completed an internship can complete one (more) on a voluntary basis.
Students who have not been awarded ECTS in their undergraduate studies (mostly non-EU applicants) do not have to complete an internship.
Fees and grants
- Tuition fees
ca. € 300 per semester (incl. local transport semester ticket)
Possibly BaföG grants
Information for prospective students
Student Counselling Services
Student advisory service
Department of Business and Economics
Prof. Dr. Wojciech Stiller
Professur für Unternehmensbesteuerung