Starting your studies

How do I enrol ? And how do I register for courses? First semester students are confronted with a range of questions like these. We have compiled an information pack providing everything you need to know in order to make a good start to your studies.

A very warm welcome to the HWR Berlin

We wish you a good start to your studies and a successful semester. An exciting period full of new impressions lies ahead of you. Because studying means more than just attending classes. Studying also means getting in touch with others, broadening your horizons and gaining tons of experience for life.

Therefore, take advantage of the numerous opportunities to take action, connect with others and get involved at your HWR Berlin!

There are many opportunities to share your expertise and your opinion. Especially when it comes to important topics like sustainability and diversity, we can actively shape the future development of the HWR Berlin together.«

Prof. Dr. Susanne Meyer, Deputy President of the HWR Berlin

In case you need help

Talk to us! The counselling services, the study offices of the departments and your lecturers are always there for you.

Studying at the HWR Berlin

The organization of the HWR Berlin

Getting started at the HWR Berlin

Organising your studies − how does everything work?

Enrolment, semester ticket, course catalogue, timetables and registering for courses: You will find the most important organizational information here.

Check your enrolment pack

You can find your personal login data for the electronic services provided by the HWR Berlin in your enrolment pack.

Changing your password

How to change your password for the HWR Berlin electronic services, e.g. Moodle or e-mail account:

Contacting the IT help desk 

Please address any questions to the HWR Berlin IT department. The IT help desk is the first port of call for all students and members of the university and teaching staff who are experiencing IT problems:

Your most important companion for your studies

Your CampusCard is your best friend for the duration of your studies at the HWR Berlin. It functions as a student ID, semester ticket, dining hall card and library card all rolled into one. You can collect your CampusCard as soon as you have enrolled. You do not have to wait for the start of the semester.

Accessing your personal QR code

The QR code needed to issue the CampusCard will be sent to your HWR Berlin email for students in all departments.

The validity of your card is recorded on the rear of the card. This means that you need to validate your card for the coming semester after each re-enrolment.

Machines at the Lichtenberg and Schöneberg Campus

You can update your CampusCard on the machines at the Lichtenberg Campus and Schöneberg Campus within the opening hours of the buildings in which they are located. You should expect long waiting times at the start of the semester.

The machines are located here:

  1. Schöneberg Campus
    In the foyer of House B, ground floor
    Badensche Straße 50-51
    10825 Berlin
  2. Lichtenberg Campus
    In the foyer of House 1, ground floor
    Alt-Friedrichsfelde 60
    10315 Berlin
  3. Lichtenberg Campus
    In House 6A, ground floor
    Alt-Friedrichsfelde 60
    10315 Berlin

Have you lost your CampusCard?

If you lose your CampusCard or it has been stolen, you need to go to the Office for Applications, Admissions and Enrolment or university library and arrange to have it disabled. If the machine cannot read your card, please contact the BBZI.

More info:

Accessing the internet

Internet-capable computer workstations are available on the Lichtenberg Campus and Schöneberg Campus which can be used to write assignments.

Computer workstations are located here:

Schöneberg Campus
University library, House A, 4th and 5th floors

Lichtenberg Campus
University library House 6 B/C

Contacting teaching staff by e-mail

We would request that you always useyour HWR Berlin e-mail to correspond with members of the teaching staff. How to set up and access your e-mail account:

Contact pages on the departmental web pages

All members of the teaching staff have their own HWR Berlin e-mail address. The website of your department lists all the staff in the department under the heading “People and contacts”. The list is alphabetical.

Alternatives Moodle or S.A.M.

You can also contact members of the teaching staff via Moodle or S.A.M.:

More info:

Important information by e-mail

Upon enrolment, you will be given an HWR Berlin e-mail address with which to perform all communication with other students and members of the university and teaching staff. We recommend that you read your e-mails regularly so as not to miss any important information.

You have mobile access to this account via the internet.

More info in German:

Starting your studies with enrolment

After accepting your place to study on a degree course at the HWR Berlin, you need to enrol; this marks the commencement of your studies. Upon enrolment you become a member of the university and can use all its facilities and visit classes.

Please address all concerns relating to issues such as enrolment, intermission, study abroad, re-enrolment, confirmation of enrolment, the semester fee and disenrollment to the Office for Applications, Admissions and Enrolments.

Do not forget to re-enrol

Students are required to re-enrol and pay the semester fee at the start of every semester. Make sure you complete this process by the deadline. Re-enrolment serves as confirmation that you wish to remain enrolled at the HWR Berlin in the coming semester.

More info:

How to organize your studies?

Here you can find all relevant information for exchange students studying at:

Represents students’ interests

Together, the Student Parliament (StuPa), the student departmental commissions and the General Students’ Committee (AStA) provide representation for the students of the HWR Berlin. The AStA is the governing body of the student body and is responsible for articulating their interests.

The tasks of the AStA include:

  • Organizing and running student projects
  • Providing students with information
  • Providing help and assistance in all matters relating to your studies
  • Conflict resolution between students
  • Organizing events

More info:

Psychological counselling

Should you experience any emotional or psychological difficulties during your time at HWR Berlin, whether your problems are personal, academic or social - our psychological counsellor is on hand to support you.

For a successful start to your studies

For all students in the first semester, the departments of the HWR Berlin, with the exception of the Department 2 Cooperative Studies, host introductory events for you to get oriented.

  • Here you can make important contacts
  • Find out about the most important aspects of your degree programme
  • Get to know the university routines
  • You will also meet your fellow students

Online or on-campus?

The current event calendar shows you whether an event is taking place on site or online:

Information about the start of your studies via Moodle or e-mail

Important information about the commencement of your studies is available in Moodle or will be sent to your e-mail inbox.

What to do when you have computer problems

How can I change my password? Where can I find my course in Moodle? How do I access e-mails from my students' inbox? Please address all questions about the »online campus« or specific IT problems to the IT hotline. You can also ask questions by e-mail or by prior appointment at the help desks in person.

IT hotline

T 030 30877-2525

Help desks

Schöneberg Campus
House B, room B 0.47

Lichtenberg Campus
House 1, room 1.2079

More info:

Registering for language courses via S.A.M.

The generalist or specialist language courses currently on offer in your department or for your degree programme are listed in S.A.M. Register for them online:

Business language courses are open to all students

Courses in Business German, Business French, Business Spanish and Business Chinese for beginners run for the degree programme International Business Management in the Department of Business and Economics are open to all students at the HWR Berlin, space permitting.

E-mail to the Business Language Centre

Further information is available from the Business Language Centre. If you are going to study on the Lichtenberg Campus, please register early by e-mail, well before the start of the semester. You may first be required to enrol at the Schöneberg Campus as a student from another institution.

More info:

Lending and returning items in the university libraries

In the university libraries on the Lichtenberg and Schöneberg campuses, you can lend and return media during opening hours without having to make an appointment or order in advance. Workstations in the reading room are available at both locations. Registration is not required.

Information on the current opening hours can be found here:

Printed and digital media at two locations

With over 200,000 media units, the University Library provides a range of comprehensive services at its locations on the Schöneberg Campus and the Lichtenberg Campus. In addition to traditional printed media, the library also provides licensed access to hundreds of thousands of electronic resources such as e-books and e-journals, which students can often use at home.

Schöneberg Campus library
House A, 4th and 5th floor

Lichtenberg Campus library
House 6C, access via House 6B, 1st floor

Tutorials for the start of your studies

The university libraries offer video tutorials and training courses on library use, literature research and literature management. You can find more information here:

CampusCard as a library card

Your CampusCard also serves as your library card. Have you yet to receive your CampusCard? Your enrolment number also functions as your user number for the university libraries. Log on to Bibkey using your moodle access data.

More info:

Retrieve online from S.A.M.

You can download the confirmation of enrolment from the HWR Berlin from your campus management system S.A.M.:

Please note

Students of the Department of Cooperative Studies are unable to print out confirmation of enrolment from the campus management system; these will be sent to their e-mail inboxes by the department.

You can find printers, scanners and copiers here:

If you want to print, scan or copy documents during your studies at the HWR Berlin, you have different options depending on the location.

Schöneberg Campus

  • House B, 1st floor, room B 1.41
  • Library, House A, 4th floor
  • House C, BPS, 1st floor
  • House E, porters lodge, room 1.09

Lichtenberg Campus

  • House 5, 5th floor, room 5.0010
  • Library, house 6B, 1st floor, room 171
  • House 6A, 4th floor, room 409

This is how you pay for your printouts or copies

To print, scan or copy on the multipurpose printers at the HWR Berlin, log on to the machine with your CampusCard. The costs for your print and copy jobs will be displayed and deducted from the credit on your card after confirmation.

Duplication Centre at the Lichtenberg Campus

As a student, you can make use of the duplication office at the HWR Berlin:

Campus Lichtenberg
House 1, Room 1.0071
Alt-Friedrichsfelde 60
10315 Berlin

T: +49 30 30877-2516
E: druckerei-lichtenberg(at)

Opening hours:

Monday to Thursday from 07.30 to 14.45
Friday from 07.30 until 12.45

Send print jobs as PDF

Please send your print jobs in PDF format and include the following information:

  • Number of copies to be printed
  • Black and white or colour printing
  • One or two-sided printing
  • Single staple, book staple with two staples or hole punching

At the duplication centre you can also have your printout binded. Please note: The duplication centre only accepts cash. They will send you an e-mail as soon as your print job is ready for collection.

More info in German:

Student counselling services

The student counselling services provide you with information and support during all phases of your studies and will find the right contact person at the HWR Berlin for all your questions.

Office for applications, admissions and enrolment

The Office for spplications, sdmissions and enrolment is happy to answer any questions relating to the application procedure, admission and enrolment.

Registering for courses via campus management system

View your timetable, access your grades, register for courses or courses in the General Studies programme: To organise your everyday study life at the click of a mouse, you use the campus management system S.A.M., the central system for the digital administration of student data, courses and examinations at the HWR Berlin.

How to log in

To log in to S.A.M., enter the personal user ID for your student account at the HWR Berlin. You have received your username and password with your enrolment pack.

More info:

Travel through Berlin and Brandenburg on your semester ticket

Your CampusCard also serves as your semester ticket. This ticket is valid in all public transport provided by the Verkehrsverbund Berlin-Brandenburg (VBB) in fare zones ABC. A valid semester ticket entitles its holder to travel on all U-Bahn, S-Bahn, tram, bus, ferry and regional railway routes for the duration of a semester. Please note: The semester ticket is not valid on special services and extra tours.

Paying the semester fee and using the semester ticket

A vote by the student body of the HWR Berlin endorsed the provision of the semester ticket. It represents a case of social financing. The transfer of your semester fee upon enrolment or re-enrolment includes the purchase of a semester ticket, even if you do not make use of the travel to which it entitles. Payment for the semester ticket is due upon enrolment and re-enrolment.

Do not forget your official ID card

The semester ticket is non-transferable and valid only with your official ID card. You can find out how to validate your semester ticket under the heading: CampusCard.

More info:

Logging in to the HWR Berlin WIFI free-of-charge

You can use free-of-charge WIFI on mobile devices at both the Lichtenberg Campus and Schöneberg Campus. You will need a special tool called Education Roaming. The tool and the step-by-step instructions for setting up your network can be found on the homepage of the IT department.

More info:

The academic content of each degree programme is supervised by a professor from the HWR Berlin; organizational issues are co-ordinated by a Student Office.

Questions about the content of your degree programme

Questions about the taught content and modules of your degree and examinations etc. should be addressed to the relevant professor. Depending on the department in which you are studying, they can be called the academic director or course director.

Questions about organizing your studies

Please address any questions about the organization or administration of your degree programme to the responsible Student Office or Course Office. The exact organizational structure varies between the departments:

The Department of Business and Economics

  • The Student Offices of the department provide information relating to all questions relating to the organization of your degree programme, examinations, your final thesis and your studies in general.
  • Please address all general administrative questions to the Office for Applications, Admissions and Enrolment on the Schöneberg Campus.

Department of Co-operative Studies

  • The Course Offices of the department provide information relating to all questions relating to the organization of your degree programme, examinations, your final thesis and your studies in general.

Department of Public Administration

  • Please address questions about your studies to the Student Office in the departmental administration.
  • Please address questions about examinations and internships to the Examinations and Internships Office.
  • Please address all general administrative questions to the Office for Applications, Admissions and Enrolment on the Lichtenberg Campus.

The Department of Legal Studies

  • Please address all questions relating to the organization of your degree programme and examinations to the Student Office responsible for your degree programme.
  • Please address all general administrative questions to the Office for Applications, Admissions and Enrolment on the Lichtenberg Campus.

Department of Police and Security Management

  • Please address questions about your studies to the Student Office in the departmental administration.
  • Please address questions about examinations and internships to the Examinations and Internships Office.
  • Please address general administrative questions to the the Office for Applications, Admissions and Enrolment on the Lichtenberg Campus.

More info:

Information on studying abroad can be found here.

And in Moodle
Please note that you will need to login to Moodle before you can access the courses listed below:

Equal opportunities for students

11 per cent of all students in Germany have a disability or chronic illness. Do you consider yourself to fall into one of these two categories? If so, we recommend that you seek advice as soon as possible, so that we at the HWR Berlin can offer you the relevant information, assistance and assessment arrangements. Get in contact in person, by e-mail or by telephone.

More information:

The HWR Berlin offers you support

Studying as a parent? Are you pregnant or attempting to combine family responsibilities − either children or the care for a dependant − with your studies? The Family Services Office is on hand to provide advice and support.

More info:

Study more effectively and widen your horizons

How can I study most effectively? How do I stop procrastinating? The General Studies programme taught at the HWR Berlin offers a wide range of courses which help you to optimize your learning strategy, improve your academic writing or provide assistance in revision.

More information:

Finding information in Moodle

The online platform Moodle facilitates communication, data transfer and the provision of additional services between members of the teaching staff and students and amongst students. Most importantly, you will find information and material about your courses and will be able to communicate with your teachers and fellow students.

Additionally check with S. A. M.

Supplementary information is available online from S.A.M., your campus management system.

More info:

Keeping abreast of deadlines and dates

When does the current semester come to an end? When are examinations timetabled? When do I need to re-enrol? All the most important deadlines and dates relevant to your studies at the HWR Berlin are listed here.

Write a term paper, bachelor's thesis or master's thesis: The Writing Centre of the HWR Berlin will support you in all questions concerning scientific writing and working - feedback on your texts included.

More info:

General studies: Courses in German and English for international students

How do you write your first term paper? The general studies programme has courses to help you get started with your studies.

All courses for the start of your studies

Studying − where to find what?

Your campus, your department, your life, your degree: these locations and facilities are important to the smooth running of your studies.

Your university – here's how it looks

Explore the Lichtenberg Campus

The Lichtenberg campus is located next door to the Friedrichsfelde Wildlife Park and is home to the departments of Cooperative Studies, Public Administration, Legal Studies as well as Police and Security Management.

Tour of the Schöneberg Campus

The Schöneberg campus, home to the Department of Business and Economics and the headquarters of our Berlin Professional School, is located in the lively neighbourhood of the Bavarian Quarter.


There are a number of ways of funding your studies: make an application for Bafög, apply to a foundation for a grant or find a job as a student employee.

Studying at university costs money

Students need to pay rent, buy clothes, food, and phone credit, pay the semester fee, buy books and a whole lot more. Studying costs money. We advise that potential students always work out how they plan to finance their studies.

  • Which organizations awards loans or grants to students?
  • What financing is available to study abroad?

You can find answers here:

Not just for the high achievers

Do you think that only the most gifted students can apply for a grant from a foundation? Not true! Obtaining a grant from a foundation is an excellent way of improving your finances. Foundations also provide grants to students who perform voluntary work at university or engage with particular issues.

It pays to look

Foundations do not just provide grants; many provide additional benefits such as:

  • Language courses
  • Grants for the costs of study
  • Participation in events

Recipients of such grants also begin networking during their studies which provides valuable contacts during their later career.

Which foundations can I apply to?

An overview of all the foundations to which you can apply is available on the internet in German:

Further information:

Career Services

The Career Services of the HWR Berlin offer guidance and support on your way to employment in Germany. We check your CV, inform about job postings of English speaking companies, and give advice about topics like residence permit and applications:

Combining paid work with your studies

Working as a student employee is a very good way of combining paid work with your studies. The various departments, professors and sections of the university management advertise vacancies at the start of each semester. Student employees provide a range of support services such as assistance in teaching and research or in course counselling. Current vacancies:

Stellenticket − finding the right job for you

Stellenticket is the HWR Berlin employment portal. Whether you are looking for a job in Berlin, the region, Germany or the world, Stellenticket lists attractive jobs suitable for students and graduates of the HWR Berlin. Take a look:

Networking − you are not alone!

The HWR Berlin looks forward to connecting with you on Instagram, Twitter or in person during university sports.




Become an Alumni