FAQs: Gaststudierende am Fachbereich Wirtschaftswissenschaften

1. Your first days in Berlin

Arriving by plane

Berlin now has only one airport: Berlin Brandenburg Airport (BER) located in southeast Berlin and linked to the city by train and bus. Please note that you will need to buy an ABC local transport ticket in order to travel into the city as the airport is located in zone C.

Arriving by train

Berlin can be easily reached by train from virtually all major German and European cities. You will most likely arrive at Berlin’s central station (Berlin Hauptbahnhof).

Arriving by bus

Numerous coach lines from different German and European cities arrive at Berlin's Central Bus Station Terminal (ZOB).

The day of arrival and departure is different for everyone. As a rule, it is always better to arrive 1-2 weeks either before the German Intensive Course or the official start of the semester in order to settle in and get to know your environment and the city of Berlin.  

You should arrive in Berlin no later than the first day of the semester and regular classes, normally around April 1st (Summer Semester) or October 1st (Winter Semester). See our academic calendar for the exact semester start date.

Please note that if you are assigned a place in our StudierendenWERK accommodation your contract will run from either the 1st of March (Summer Semester) or 1st of September (Winter Semester) regardless of whether you arrive on March 1st or later in March / September 1st or later in September.

Berlin has a very efficient public transportation system called BVG. You can easily reach your accommodation by subway (“U-Bahn”), city train (the “S-Bahn”) or bus from all airports and railway stations. We recommend using the BVG public transportation app or website: www.bvg.de/en and Google Maps to find your way.

You can use your HWR Berlin semester ticket from the first day of the semester (1st April à Summer Semester / 1st October à Winter Semester) on all public transport in Berlin. If you arrive before these dates, make sure you buy a ticket before taking the subway, train or bus. You can look for the shortest/fastest route to the HWR Berlin on the BVG website: www.bvg.de/en or the BVG app.

The HWR Berlin is located close to the U7 station Bayerischer Platz, U7/U9 station Berliner Straße & U4 station Rathaus Schöneberg or the bus line 104 (Kufsteinerstr. stop). The address is: HWR Berlin /Berlin School of Economics & Law - Badensche Straße 50-51 - 10825 Berlin

It is a legal requirement that anyone living in Berlin for more than three months must register with local authorities at the town hall. Exchange students also need to register, especially as confirmation that one has registered is often required to open a bank account or to get a residence permit (visa).

The orientation period in March for the summer semester and September for the winter semester includes our welcome days, various information sessions, a wide range of activities and a preparatory intensive German language course for all incoming exchange students. Attendance is highly recommended but not mandatory.

During the Welcome Period you will receive very important information on Berlin, on the university, on our course system, and how to register for courses. Furthermore, we offer a campus tour and the opportunity to get German health insurance.

We strongly recommend that all students attend the Welcome Day events. Should you not be in Berlin for the Welcome Day events because, for example, you are not taking part in the Preparatory German Language Course, you can join our events virtually. Please do understand that we do not arrange individual info sessions. If you miss the Welcome Days it will be up to you to gather all the information you missed from your fellow classmates or visit the International Office.

During our Welcome Period it is possible to participate in a German Intensive Course, which you registered for in advance during the online application process. The courses are organised by TU’s language center ZEMS in close co-operation with the Berliner Hochschule für Technik and the HWR Berlin’s Language Centre (language-centre(at)hwr-berlin.de).

The language centre offers an intensive German course at a range of levels, from beginners to advanced. To place everybody in accordance with his/her actual proficiency in German, an online placement test usually  takes place on the first day of the intensive course. Students are sorted into groups on the basis of the placement test results. You will also receive all necessary information about the German Intensive Course at  the first Welcome Day.

The Buddy Programme helps integrate new students. After signing up for the programme a student who already studies at HWR Berlin will be assigned to be your "buddy". He/she will be your contact person during the semester. Your buddy will contact you before your arrival, and then help you get settled in. He/she is expected to explain what it's like being a student in Berlin and introduce you to student life at the HWR Berlin. If you have questions concerning official paperwork or daily life in Berlin your buddy is the person to contact. Hopefully, you will get to know each other and also have fun together.

The Buddy Programme is optional and free of charge; but you will need to apply for a buddy. You will receive an email with more information after your application has been approved by the International Office. Once you have registered for the programme we will send your contact details to your buddy and he/she will get in touch with you. The service depends on the availability of students, who volunteer to be buddies, which means that unfortunately we cannot guarantee that everybody will be assigned to a German buddy.

You will receive a programme of activities at the Welcome Days containing all the exciting events held during the semester! Moreover, we also have a Facebook group for every semester, where you can find information about the activities and special events held for exchange students. We also send out the programme with our general information email at the beginning of each semester, which includes all the necessary details such as time, place, meeting point and costs. If an additional event, which is not listed in the programme is held, we will also contact you via email and Facebook.

2. Housing

The HWR Berlin does not own any dormitories (in fact, no German university does!). The HWR Berlin has however a limited number of places in the Studierendenwerk Berlin and Studentendorf dorms for about € 350–585 a month. If you are interested in applying for this accommodation, please tick the appropriate box in your online application form. These places are only valid for one semester. If you are staying for two semesters you will need to organise private accommodation yourself for your second semester. Please make sure to do this in good time.

Please note that we are unable to offer spots to all of our prospective exchange students due to limited capacity! In this case we will provide you with a list of private accommodation providers in Berlin which you can reach out to. If you do look for accommodation privately, please make sure to be vigilant with regards to scams. If an ad appears to good to be true then trust your instinct. If you are uncertain you can also contact the Incoming Office.

There are different dorms located all over Berlin. Unfortunately, we don’t have any influence over the allocation of rooms as this is done independently by the ‘Studierendenwerk’. The HWR Berlin usually partners with the ‘Studentendorf Schlachtensee’ and the Studierendenwerk Wohnheim ‘Eichkamp’, ‘Franz-Mehring-Platz’, ‘Sewanstraße’ and ‘Aritstotelessteig’. Since the hall of residences are located across Berlin and they do not offer ‘on-campus living’, it is very likely that you will have to travel 30 to 60 minutes to reach the HWR Berlin. Please bear in mind that Berlin is a big, sprawling city, and thus such commuting distances are commonplace.

All dorms are furnished differently. Shared flats are mostly furnished with  a bathroom and a kitchen, which are shared with other students. Apartments generally have a kitchenette and a private toilet. The rooms/apartments of the Studierendenwerk are furnished with a bed, cupboard, desk and a shelf. Additionally, for the majority of the rooms on offer cheap internet access is available. Also many dorms feature table-tennis rooms,or the possibility to securely store bikes. In addition they often features automatic washing machines which may be used for a small fee. The cost of the rent depends therefore on the hall’s amenities, size and location. More information about the amenities and the rent can be found at https://www.studentendorf.berlin/schlachtensee/ and https://www.stw.berlin/en/housing.html.

You will apply for accommodation in your online application form. You will then receive an email from us approximately three months prior to the start of the semester informing you whether you have been assigned accommodation. Don’t worry, if one of your fellow students receives the information before you, please just hang on and wait for further news.

Please note that once you have signed up for accommodation this decision is binding and you will be subject to the contractual obligations. If you have to cancel your entire exchange for some reason please contact your accommodation provider and the International Office and we will endeavour to find someone to take over your contract. Please be aware however that we cannot guarantee this.

If you wish to live in a shared apartment (WG) with German students, there are several useful websites you can visit, however these are often in German. You can expect to pay between €450 and €600 / month for a room. Living in a shared apartment is a good opportunity to practice German and become familiar with German culture. If you search online, some helpful German words are: ‘möbiliertes Zimmer’, ‘möbiliertes Appartment’ (furnished room, furnished apartment)

Useful links to online platforms:

    Each household in Germany must pay the public service broadcasting licence fee which currently costs €18.36/month and must only be paid once per residence or dormitory room, no matter how many devices are being used/how many people live there. If you share an apartment with other students, you can split the cost of this fee. Once you have registered your address, you will receive a payment request. It can take up to a few months before you receive the first request. More information can be found at www.rundfunkbeitrag.de

    No the HWR Berlin does not provide any free SIM cards. However, you should research different providers and inform yourself before signing a contract, as many contracts last for a minimum of two years. If you do not plan to make lots of calls a pay-as-you-go SIM card might be the right choice for you, since they are often less expensive and offer more flexibility.

    3. Money Issues

    Exchange students don’t pay tuition fees, however to enroll at HWR Berlin all students have to pay an administrative charge for their “semester ticket/student ID” (approx. €250 - €325). This ticket is mandatory for all students and provides unlimited usage of Berlin’s public transportation system.

    Your semester fee depends on your student status. The exact amount will be communicated to you as soon as your application is approved and you have received your matriculation number. Please transfer the amount due for one semester only!

    Erasmus / Overseas Exchange~ € 253.39
    Double Degree ~ € 303.39

    The fee is broken down as follows:

    Ticket for public transportation ~ € 194.30
    Fee for Studierendenwerk ~ € 54.09
    ASTA fee (General Student Committee) ~ € 5.00
    Administrative fee (Double Degree only) ~ € 50.00

    As long as you provided your name and your matriculation number in the reference for the transfer, we should be able to identify that the transfer belongs to you. A printed confirmation is not needed but can be helpful therefore we recommend keeping a receipt just in case. You can download the receipt in Campus4u. Please make sure that if someone else transfers the money for you, your name and matriculation number are included in the reference! Due to the large number of payments received at the beginning of each semester we do not inform students individually that their payment has arrived; we will only contact you if there is a problem with your payment.

    In general there are no possibilities to apply directly for a scholarship from the HWR Berlin. Nevertheless, there are certain partner universities which have a scholarship agreement with the HWR Berlin. Check with your home university’s international office for further information.

    More useful information about external scholarship programmes for students can be found on the following site: https://www.daad.de/deutschland/stipendium/en/

    Yes, you do have to transfer the semester fee even if you have a scholarship. Again, this is not a tuition fee but mandatory costs associated with your transportation ticket and application.

    Berlin is not very expensive compared to many other German cities. Aside from rent, you should be able to cover your basic expenses with approx. €500/month, depending on your personal needs. This table gives you an idea of the costs you can expect when studying in Berlin for one semester (6 months). Please note that the figures below are rough estimates and can vary from year to year and person to person.

    It is not mandatory to open a German bank account, but the advantages certainly outweigh the disadvantages if you decide to do so. These advantages include free withdrawals from cash machines, electronic payments, and “standing orders” for regular payments like rent, health insurance or telephone bills, which ensures that the money is transferred automatically and on time every month. If you have a part-time job in Germany, you will need a German bank account in order to receive your salary.

    Most German banks offer free student bank accounts. The following documents are required to apply for one:

    • passport
    • certificate of Berlin registration (Anmeldung)
    • student ID card a certificate of enrolment from the HWR Berlin

    In most cases, you apply online first and then go to the branch with all the forms and documents afterwards.

    4. Health Insurance

    By law, all students must be have health insurance and unlimited health insurance coverage is required for enrollment at a German university. If you do not have a valid health insurance, you will not be able to register at the university and will thus will not receive your student ID (including transportation ticket).

    Yes, if you come from an EU member state and have a European Insurance Card (EHIC), this is sufficient and you should carry it with you at all times. Please make sure that this card is valid until the end of your stay in Germany. Please note that you need to present this card in order to register you as a student. If you are a non-EU citizen and you do not have an EHIC card, you will need to bring proof of your current health insurance.

    This proof needs to be very detailed in order to determine whether the insurance meets German requirements or not. This proof can take the form of your contract or the insurance policy – anything that explains how much is covered or what is not covered. Please note that by law, a student health insurance must cover all expenses (including dentist visits) without any limit! It has to be in English or German and needs to be approved by a public German health insurance company.

    During the Welcome Period, we will invite two German health insurance companies, with whom you can sign a contract. Should you decide to get a health insurance before, you can also get a validation from them. We will hold a session for all bureaucratic matters, where public health insurance companies are invited. We only accept it, if it has been approved and you can show us the exemption issued by a German health insurance company. 

    Please note: Travel health insurance is not sufficient to register at the HWR Berlin!

    We do not recommend that you upgrade your current health insurance for Germany because in most cases you won’t be covered without limitation and you will have to purchase additional insurance on top of this. We strongly recommend signing a student contract with a public German health insurance provider after arriving in Berlin. The International Office will gladly assist you. You can contact any public health insurance provider in Germany, for example BARMER (Julia.Melchior(at)barmer.de), AOK Nordost (studentservice(at)nordost.aok.de) or TK (katrin.wloch(at)tk.de) for more information.

    • Cost: approx. €120/month. Validity: starting Oct. 1st for the winter semester and April 1st for the summer semester.
    • Please make sure you have personal travel insurance from your home country to bridge the period until the German health insurance becomes effective.

    If you have a medical condition that requires you to travel with medication, you should have your physician write a letter, which describes your condition and prescription medications and lists any generic names of the prescribed medication. You should also leave your medications in their original packaging.

    You may want to check with the nearest German embassy or consulates in your country to see if any of your prescribed medications are considered illegal in Germany. You should also avoid carrying large amounts of non-prescription medication with you while travelling.

    Often the best way is to ask for a recommendation from friends or colleagues. If you’re new in Berlin and don’t have such contacts yet, you can consult the internet or use the yellow pages book (Gelbe Seiten), where you can look for doctors which specialise in various areas or for general practitioners (GPs).

    There are also some university clinics (Kliniken), which provide outpatient services in addition to hospitalization. These clinics are staffed usually by highly skilled doctors who often speak English. In Germany it is common for doctors to run their own practices which means their office hours (Sprechstunden) may be more limited. Many doctors serve patients on a first come, first served basis, so you may have to wait a while despite having an appointment.

    5. Visa

    As a general rule, all foreigners staying in Germany for more than 90 days and wishing to study in Germany need to get a student visa before entering Germany. Nationals of Australia, Canada, Israel, Japan, New Zealand, South Korea, the United Kingdom and the United States may apply for the necessary permit after arrival in Germany. EU citizens as well as citizens of Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway and Switzerland have the right to live and work in Germany. After arrival, they just need to register with the appropriate office of the town hall (called the "Einwohnermeldeamt" or "Bürgeramt") in their area of residence in Germany.

    If you plan to study in Germany, you have to submit an application for a student visa to the respective German consulate. Documents have to be presented proving that you have been accepted for studies by the HWR Berlin (Acceptance Letter). Your acceptance letter will be sent three or four weeks after our general application deadline to either your home university (if you are a nominated student) or to your home address (if you are a free-mover). Depending on the country you are applying from there may be different rules and regulations on how to apply for a visa. Please contact the German embassy in your home country and/or also consult your International Office for advice.

    In Germany, international students may work up to 120 days, 8 hours a day or 240 part-time days, 4 hours a day per year without a work permit. You are also allowed to do an internship that is connected to your studies., in rare cases, the local immigration office in your area of residence may have additional restrictions so you should check this with them. Paid employment is not permitted during preparatory language courses or during other preparatory courses. Please ask the foreign registration office for further details.

    More information:

    6. Academic Matters

    The academic year at the HWR Berlin is divided into two semesters of six months: the Winter Semester (1st October-31st March) and the Summer Semester (1st April -30th September). However, the examination period ends prior to this (please see our Academic Calendar for recent information).

    The HWR Berlin is closed for the following public holidays:

    • German Unification Day (3 October)
    • 2-week Christmas and New Year break
    • Women’s Day (8 March)
    • Easter
    • Labour Day (1 May)
    • Ascension Day
    • Whit Monday

    In the academic calendar you will find all the relevant dates which you have to consider during your semester at the HWR Berlin (the calendar will be sent to you at the beginning of your studies).

    Erasmus exchange students receive their Learning Agreements from their home universities. All other students will be able to access the document in their Mobility Online application. You need to fill out the Learning Agreement at the beginning of the semester. It must then be signed by the HWR Berlin’s International Office coordinator, which usually takes up to one week. Once it has been signed you can send it back to your home university and upload it to Mobility Online.

    Yes, it makes sense to choose your courses before you arrive even though you won’t be able to register for any classes online in advance. We encourage you to talk first to your academic advisor at your home university about your course selection to prepare for a successful semester in Berlin. For this, you need to consult our study programme and pre-select your classes. Once you arrive in Berlin you have the opportunity to update your selection and then make your binding decision. Please be aware that there will often be changes; some courses may not be offered after all and others may have been recently introduced. In other words, you need to be somewhat flexible with regards to your study programme.

    You’ll find information regarding the courses available via the following link.

    The HWR Berlin allows you to register for courses online via Campus4u (for students from Campus Schöneberg) or Finca (for students from Campus Lichtenberg). You will receive your log-in data for these platforms from us shortly before the course registration period starts. Those students arriving early in order to attend the pre-semester German language course will be able to register with the help of the International Office. Those students that are not attending the pre-semester language course and thus will arrive shortly before the beginning of the semester will have to register individually and on their own. You are however always welcome to contact the International Office if you have any questions regarding your courses.

    No, admittance is subject to availability. For capacity reasons, admission may be denied. In most cases you will be granted access to alternative courses or alternative course groups (i.e. different time and/or lecturer) of the same module than the one you originally applied for. For some courses you will be placed on a waiting list (see English Stream).

    After the deadline for the registration period has passed it is no longer possible to add any courses. After that point you will only be able to change courses if you can provide a sufficient academic reason for this. You are able to drop courses though, usually this is only possible during the first month of the semester. The exact period during which you can drop courses will be announced on Campus4u for each semester.

    A course change is possible under the following circumstances:

    • Course clash: there are two or more courses in your schedule which take place at the same time
    • Academic reason: has to be confirmed in an email from the coordinator at your home university

    We urgently recommend that you get in touch with your home university to confirm whether any new courses you select will be recognised from their side.

    Please note: The last chance to change a course is usually the final week of the first month of the semester (either the end of April for the summer semester or the end of October for the winter semester). The deadline will be announced at the beginning of each semester. No course changes will be approved after these deadlines!

    It is NOT possible to attend modules that are not on your timetable and that you have not been admitted to. Should you have been admitted to a different group than the one you applied for you MUST stick to the given alternative or you will not receive your ECTS credits or grade. Please be aware that course admittance issues CANNOT be handled by a lecturer, nor can he/she help you to register you for the course. Please discuss ALL changes concerning your timetable with the International Office. Simply gaining the permission of your lecturer is NOT sufficient.

    Of course! We offer several German courses at all levels during the semester, which you are free to take even if you have already participated in the German intensive course.

    • A regular course load at the HWR Berlin is 30 ECTS.
    • Please make sure to not register for more than 40 ECTS, as this is the maximum workload.

    General Studies

    General Studies courses cover a range of interesting topics outside of the regular curriculum which foster interdisciplinary approaches. You can choose them additionally and ask for a certificate as a confirmation. However, please note that the course will not appear in your Transcript of Records!

    Bachelor Programs – first stage

    First stage courses provide basic knowledge of a topic. There are no requirements in order to apply for these courses. They usually take place for 4 hours a week and you generally receive 5 ECTS for them. Please note that you cannot take these courses if you have already taken an equivalent beginners course in the same field at your home university.

    Bachelor Programs – second stage

    Second stage courses deepen your knowledge of a topic. Basic skills/prerequisites are required in order to apply for and attend the course. It is only possible to join these courses if you fulfil the prerequisites or have the equivalent knowledge. Please check the prerequisites for each course in the remarks column of our English Stream document.

    Interdisciplinary Topic Area “Themenfeld”

    These courses take an interdisciplinary approach to a certain issue and are a combination of three different courses, taking place twelve hours a week (15 ECTS gained upon successful completion). Please keep in mind that you must participate in all three parts of the course in order to receive the credits.

    Language Courses

    The HWR Berlin offers different business language courses, such as German, Chinese, French, and Spanish. This type of course will usually take place 4 hours a week and you receive 5 ECTS for them.

    Most of the courses require constant attendance, so in order to obtain your ECTS you should attend regularly.

    Once you have been registered for a course, you are automatically registered for the examination. If you do not show up for the exam, you will fail the course.

    Should you fail an exam, you will have the option to apply for a re-sit. The re-sit usually takes place within the first two weeks of the next semester (first two weeks of April/ October). Please note that students have to take re-sits on-site at the HWR Berlin’s campus, so you will need to be present in Berlin in order to re-sit the exam.

    There is a heavy focus on independent, self-directed study at German universities. The lecturers usually do not set specific textbook reading assignments of a certain number of pages, rather German students are expected to complete independent primary and secondary reading during the course of their studies. Independent study is a crucial element of the academic freedom of a German institution and is designed to encourage self-motivation and promote interesting discussion, since not everyone has read the same material. While it’s less demanding on a daily basis than e.g. studies at a U.S. institution, independent study may ultimately be more rigorous in its demands (e.g. passing the finals!).

    The "Transcript of Records" is a document, which includes the EuropeanCreditTransfer(andAccumulation)System (ECTS) and proves a student’s performance over a certain period of time by listing the course units or modules taken, the credits gained, and the grades awarded. The Transcript of Records provides a standard format for recording all study activities carried out by students. It is essential for academic recognition of your studies. This transcript details your grades in a way that is easy for your home university to process. The transcript of records contains the following information:

    • All courses attended
    • The number of ECTS points awarded
    • The German exam grades
    • The equivalent ECTS grades.

    Please note: Germany has different semester dates to many other countries. Unfortunately we can´t issue you with your transcript of records until all your grades have been announced. However, you can print, scan and then send us the document that shows your grades, so we can sign and stamp it. You can find it at www.campus4u.hwr-berlin.de.

    You will have free access to the PC terminals in the university computer lab, including printing facilities and free-of-charge internet access. You will also have free access to the computer facilities in the library and free WiFi internet access on campus. During the Welcome Day there will be an orientation tour in which we will explain the process of logging into the system with your personal log-in data.

    Given the limited opening hours and terminals in the computer lab though, it does make sense to bring your personal laptop along too. However, please be aware that you will need a European plug-in adapter and that the voltage might differ from country to country (the voltage in Germany is 220 Volts).

    7. About Berlin

    The easiest way is to consult the internet. Check out for example Berlin’s official website, which is designed for tourists: www.berlin.de. There are also numerous other English-language websites and blogs offering tips for things to do in Berlin.

    In general, Berlin is a very safe city. Public transportation is highly frequented and safe to use during the day and night. Nevertheless, there are some areas where heightened alertness is advised, e.g. in the far northeast of Berlin. You should also be aware that pickpockets do operate in Berlin (especially in touristy areas) so you should make sure to take care of your belongings at all times.

    Yes, Berlin has a safe and widely used public transportation system. Service after midnight is mostly provided by night buses or underground trains. Free WiFi access is provided at most stations. During the semester you don’t need to buy a public transportation ticket of any kind when travelling in Berlin because your student ID is also your public transportation ticket. With your public transportation ticket you are able to use the complete Berlin transportation network across all three zones (A,B,C). You should carry your student ID plus another kind of ID (passport/identity card) with you at all times as frequent ticket checks are carried out.

    Further information regarding public transport in Berlin can be obtained in English on the BVG’s homepage (www.bvg.de/en).

    Attention: You CANNOT use the semester ticket for travel outside of the HWR Berlin’s official semester dates. If you arrive before the 1st of April or 1st of October, make sure to purchase a valid transportation ticket (e.g.: a monthly ticket costs approximately €86).

    Most universities, research centres, academies, schools, and other research and education institutions in Berlin provide “eduroam” WiFi internet access, which is secure and free of charge for users. Eduroam internet access is provided across the HWR Berlin’s campus. In most of the studierendenWERK BERLIN’shalls of residences, it is possible to set up WiFi internet connection in your room in the form of a private internet connection via your telephone line. The BVG provides access to free WiFi at many train stations. Another option is to visit cafes, which often offer free WiFi connections.

    Throughout the city and near all the halls of residence there are supermarkets where you can buy food and other goods. There are also several shops near the university. Please note that on Sundays shops are normally closed in Germany (only supermarkets and shops in major train stations i.e. the main station or Zoologischer Garten are open). During the week shops usually close between 8:00 p.m. and 10:00 p.m.

    Berlin is a very multicultural city offering dining options from across the world and for all budgets. Whatever you are craving, you will most likely find it. During the week a very affordable option is to dine at the dining halls and cafeterias run by the Studierendenwerk. These facilities are often conveniently located within or in the vicinity of the universities. Anyone can eat in the dining halls and cafeterias, but students pay the cheapest rate (starting from €1.55) for their meal. The dining halls (Mensen), serve hot meals, salads, soups, sandwiches, snacks and drinks. You can choose from a daily varying selection of main courses, including meals for vegetarians and vegans.

    Attention: You must pay with your student ID, which functions as a MensaCard. Each card has a microchip, and money can be loaded on to the card using electronic machines located at each Mensa/cafeteria.

    Berlin / Germany enjoys a continental climate with warm to hot summers and cold winters.

    Important: The charts below only list the average temperatures. In other words, there may also be very cold winter periods with temperatures dropping to minus 15°C!

    There is no dress code for class. Most students dress casually. For special occasions, e.g. a company visit, opera visit, it is more appropriate to wear formal clothes (e.g. business casual). Please note that winters tend to be very cold with ice and snow, so be sure to bring warm clothes including a warm jacket and appropriate footwear along. The weather in summer may vary; it can be warm but you might also need a warm sweater or a waterproof jacket in the evenings.