How to apply
International Security Management
- DegreeMaster of Arts (M.A.)
- Type of studyFull-time study
- Standard period of study4 semesters
- Commencement of studiesSummer semester (1 Apr)
- Credits (ECTS)120
- Language of instructionEnglish
- Department / Central InstituteDepartment of Police and Security Management
How to apply without a German university degree
Students with a Non-German Bachelor degree apply at uni-assist e. V.. It is a certification office founded to support German universities by converting foreign grades and degrees into their German equivalents. Once your application passes the uni-assist system check, it will be transferred to our university for further processing.
Please note that uni-assist charges a processing fee according to the number of universities you want to apply to.
Please register online first and send your completed documents to the following address:
(HWR Berlin – Master programmes)
Hochschule für Wirtschaft und RechtBerlin
Berlin School of Economics and Law
c/o uni-assist e.V.
Uni Assist recommends that applicants apply at least six weeks before the end of the application period
- University degree (min. 180 ECTS)
- English language skills: Level B2
- Letter of motivation (in English)
- Curriculum Vitae (in English)
Your English level has to be minimum level advanced B2 CEFR (Common European Framework of References) or above. The required minimum score of the accepted English certificates are listed below.
We accept certificates of up to two years old.
- TOEFL iBT – 87 points
- IELTS – 6.0 points
- TOEIC – 800 points
- Cambridge – FCE, CAE, CPE, BEC Vantage
- Telc- telc B2-Certificate
- UNIcert – Unicert II
Please note: We do not accept A-level /school leaving certificates or DAAD language certificates as English proficiency tests.
Please, note that your qualification will be checked only upon application, not beforehand.
Native English speakers do not need to submit a language certificate.
To complete your application, please include:
- University degree
- Proof of English proficiency (at least advanced B2 level).
- Motivation letter (in English, not more than one page)
- Curriculum Vitae (in English)
- university entrance qualification / school-leaving certificate e.g. high school diploma, matura, international baccalaureate (simple copy, only for statistical reasons)
A formally certified and stamped photocopy of all diplomas, degrees or certificates must be attached to your application. Please do not send any original documents!
Accepted authentication bodies are
- German Embassy or Consulate
- Notary from Germany or an EU country
- Public authorities and institutions in Germany
- Authorities from an EU country
- The institution that issued your original certificate (the stamp on the certificate and on the authentication must be identical!)
Certificates not issued in German or English must be translated into German or English. Translations must be formally certified and submitted in the original.
The (e-mail) address you have provided us with is the address we use in order to contact you. Please make sure you notify us of a change of address as soon as possible. A missed deadline that might emanate from a failure to do so is your responsibility.
HWR Berlin only processes applications that have been completed accurately and signed. The application can only be considered if Uni Assist receives all documents before the closing date and certified copies of all those certificates that are required are attached. We recommend to apply early, at least six weeks before the deadline expires. Applications that are sent by e-mail or fax will not be processed.
Chinese, Vietnamese and Mongolian Applicants need to submit an APS certificate (available at the Akademische Prüfstelle (APS) in the German Embassy in Beijing, Hanoi, Ulan Bator
Student Counselling Service
Telephone consultation hours
Tue, Thu 14.00–15.00
Admission and enrolment
Registration and Enrolment Services
(Appointments by telephone only)
Nonprofit-Management und Public Governance (Fachbereich 3)
Immobilien- und Vollstreckungsrecht (Fachbereich 4)
International Security Management (Fachbereich 5)
Important dates and deadlines
01.10. - 15.12.
Application period with and without a German university degree