How to apply
International Security Management
- DegreeMaster of Arts (M.A.)
- Type of studyFull-time study
- Standard period of study4 semesters
- Commencement of studiesSummer semester (1 Apr)
- Credits (ECTS)120
- Language of instructionEnglish
- Department / Central InstituteDepartment of Police and Security Management
How to apply without a German university degree
Students with a non-German Bachelor degree need to apply directly through uni-assist e. V.. They are a certification office that supports German universities by converting foreign grades and degrees into their German equivalents. Once your application passes the check through uni-assist, it will be transferred to our university for further processing.
Please note that uni-assist charges a processing fee according to the number of universities you want to apply to.
Please register online first and send your completed documents to the following address:
uni-assist recommends that applicants apply at least six weeks (November 10) before the end of the application period so that your application can be processed and forwarded on time.
How to apply with a German degree
- Please apply ONLINE on the Homepage of HWR Berlin AND
- Send your application documents with the online confirmation by e-mail to master-cl(at)hwr-berlin.de
- University degree (min. 180 ECTS)
- English language skills: Level B2 (please see a list of accepted scores and tests below)
Your English language proficiency must be at a minimum level of B2 as according to the Common European Framework of References (CEFR). We recommend all applicants to have a minimum level of C1.
The required minimum score of the accepted English certificates are listed below.
We accept certificates of up to two years old.
- TOEFL iBT – 87 points
- IELTS – minimum score of 6.5 in ALL the categories
- TOEIC – 4 Skills: 1.233 points
- PTE Academic – 70 points
- Cambridge English Scale – 173 points
- Oxford Test of English – 130 points
- UNIcert – UNIcert II (UNIcert III recommended)
Please note: We do not accept A-level /school leaving certificates or DAAD language certificates as English proficiency tests.
Please, note that your qualification will be checked only upon application, not beforehand.
To complete your application, please submit the following documents:
- University degree (e.g. Bachelor)
- Proof of the number of ECTS credits earned in the first professional university degree in total as well as per subject, insofar as ECTS credits that were awarded in a corresponding course of study
- Proof of security-related modules complete in previous course of study including course descriptions.
- Proof of English proficiency (at least advanced B2 level).
- Motivation letter (in English, not more than one page)
- Curriculum Vitae (in English)
- university entrance qualification / school-leaving certificate e.g. high school diploma, matura, international baccalaureate (certified copy not required)
- copy of passport and residence permit, if applicable
If the number of applications exceeds the available study places, a selection procedure will be carried out.
The selection is made
- by qualification (80%) – NC value of the first degree
- after waiting time (20%)
An additional selection criterion is the security aspect of the previous degree. There are extra points awarded for this.
Student Counselling Services
Admission and enrolment
Master’s degree programmes Lichterberg Campus
Important dates and deadlines
01.10. - 15.12.
Application period with and without a German university degree